Window Vista: Determining STOP Errors From Event Viewer
In Windows Vista/2008 or later, to determine which STOP (Blue Screen or BSOD) errors your system has experienced:
- Click Start , type eventvwr in the search box and press Enter.
- Click Continue if prompted by User Account Control.
- In the left-hand pane, expand Windows Logs, and left-click System.
- Right-click System and choose Filter Current Log:
- At Event Sources, type BugCheck.
- Click OK.
The Event Viewer will display all the BugCheck events. Click on each to reveal the details, which are similar to the following:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000050 (0xa99d1000, 0x00000000, 0x81ec2693, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP.
The STOP error code is the first hexadecimal, in this case, 0x00000050, or just 50. Codes may also include letters, such as 0x0000001F.