Microsoft Access Database Reports Runtime Errors
A Microsoft Access database may halt with runtime compilation errors (notably on Error$ notation) when opened with Microsoft Office Access 2007.
This may occur if the database was originally developed with an older version of Access, and converted through various versions, such as Access 2003 then Access 2007.
This occurs because the database contains a reference to Utility.mda, which no longer exists in Microsoft Office Access 2007. However, most of the functions in this library are now included by default and so the reference can simply be removed:
- Make a backup copy of the database.
- Hold down the Shift key while opening the database.
The database should open in design view, having bypassed any startup code.
- Press ALT+F11 to start Visual Basic Editor.
- On the Tools menu, click References.
- Under Available References, click to clear the check box next to “MISSING: Utility.MDA”, and then click OK.
- Close the database.
- Run the database as usual. Check that it functions as you expect.