Error 0x80070490 Applying Windows 7 Service Pack 1
When applying Service Pack 1 to Windows 7, the service pack fails, rolls back the changes and reports error 0x80070490 (Element Not Found).
This may be caused by a missing driver. To determine the driver:
- Open c:\Windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log.
- Look for lines similar to:
!!! sto: Failed to find driver update '<Driver.inf>' in Driver Store. Error = 0x00000490
- Open an elevated command prompt and type:
pnputil -a <Driver.inf>
You should then receive:
Microsoft PnP Utility
Processing inf : driver.inf
Driver package added successfully.
Published name : oem78.inf
Total attempted: 1
Number successfully imported: 1
- Repeat for each driver instance.
- Reapply the service pack.