SBS 2008/2011: Disabling WSUS
Microsoft Small Business Server (SBS) 2008 and 2011 include Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) which downloads and deploys updates to client systems. However in small networks, where internet speed and data allocation is not a concern, managing WSUS is relatively onerous and the workstations can be configured to allow Windows Update to operate by itself on each machine.
- Open Group Policy Management.
- Under Domains → <Domain>, right-click Update Services Common Settings Policy and choose Edit.
- Navigate to Computer Configuration → Policies → Administrative Templates → Windows Components → Windows Update.
- Set Specify intranet Microsoft update service location to Not Configured.
- Open Windows Server Update Services.
- Navigate to <Server> → Options.
- Open Synchronization Schedule and choose Synchronize Manually.
- You may also wish to Decline all updates and run the Server Cleanup Wizard, if the WSUS database has a lot of updates already downloaded.